If you wish to amend any of the personal information that we hold about you, or update your marketing preferences, you can do so at any time by contacting us.
Information we collect
This section details the information we may collect about you. We explain why, and how, we use it in later sections.
If you decide to create an account or enquire about one of our products or services, we’ll ask you to provide us with some specific information, for example:
- Basic personal details – such as your name.
- Personal contact details – such as phone number, website, country and email address.
- Work details – such as company name, phone number, website and country.
- Log in details – such as email address and password
Information we obtain from partners and public sources
In some circumstances, we collect information about you from our partners or from publicly available websites to help us better understand our audience and enhance the relevance of our content.
Lawful basis for processing
We only process personal information where we have a lawful basis for doing so, such as the following:
- User consent – This is where you have given us explicit permission to process personal information for a given purpose. For example, if you complete one of our general enquiry forms, we would ask for your consent if we wanted to use your personal information for any other purpose. You have the right to withdraw this consent at any time. You can manage your preferences within your account or by contacting customer services.
- Legitimate business purposes – This is where we have a legitimate interest, as a business, to process personal information. For example, where we are aware of copyright infringements on our Site, it is in our legitimate interests as a business to identify those responsible. We take due care to balance our interests against your right to privacy.
- Contractual necessity – This is where we have to process personal information to meet our contractual obligations. For example, if you are a print subscriber, we would need to process your delivery address to fulfil your subscription.
- Legal obligation – Legal obligation – This is where we have to process personal information in order to comply with the law. For example, we process and retain customer invoice information to comply with financial regulations.
How we use your personal information
- To provide our service – We require some of your basic personal information so our services work as you would expect, for example, providing access to our digital content, notifying you of changes to our services and dealing with customer services queries.
How long we retain your personal information
We retain the majority of your personal information for as long as your account is active and therefore open; this allows you to continue accessing our content, products and services.
How we keep your personal information secure
We have appropriate technical and administrative security measures in place to help ensure that our users’ information is protected against unauthorised or accidental access, use, alteration, or loss. We use encryption technology, such as Transport Layer Security (TLS), to protect your personal information.
Under data protection laws, you have rights as an individual in relation to the personal data we hold about you. These rights include:
- The right to object to direct marketing
- The right to access the personal data that we process about you;
- The right to request the deletion of your personal data;
Our Sites are not intended for children under 16 years of age. We do not intentionally collect or use any information from children.
This policy is effective from 24/05/2018.